Our Behaviour Therapists identify and understand why your child exhibits certain behaviours and help your child develop and learn desired behaviours using a consistent approach that covers multiple aspects of their life.
There are a variety of reasons why a child might behave a certain way and at Canoe Therapy, we believe that it’s our job to identify what might cause specific behaviours in your child.
Our team of instructor therapists use the principles of Verbal Behaviour (VB) and Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA), the only intervention scientifically proven to develop lasting, positive changes in individuals with autism.
Through our program, we can help your child master new skills and desired behaviours in a safe, supportive environment. Our services include the following:
- Skills Assessment — We will assess your child’s basic language and learning skills using gold-standard programs such as the VB-MAPP or the Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills program (ABLLS).
- Functional Behaviour Assessments — Assessments to understand the function(s) of your child’s behaviour(s) may be conducted directly and/or indirectly. This will assist in the development of your child’s treatment.
- Consultation — This may include school consultations, parent training and home observation.
- Group Therapy — We will help your child build their social skills in a recreational setting with their peers.
- One-to-One Therapy — We can provide your child with individualized therapy in a one-on-one setting in either our clinic or within the home.
- Parent Coaching — We provide families with the opportunity to learn the strategies used by the therapists to help with challenging behaviour(s), and/or maintain acquired skills into their natural environment.
Always accountable to our industry standards.
All of our instructors have strong background knowledge in psychology and other related fields, are thoroughly trained in ABA and VA-MAPP assessment. Our therapists and your child’s treatment are also consistently overseen by a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst.